Briefly describe congenital orthopedic disabilities & their treatment
Define orthopedic birth defects
Orthopedic birth defects refer to a wide range of ailments that affect a baby’s bones, tendons, muscles, and ligaments that link them. These health issues arise while a baby is present in the woman’s womb before taking birth. The best Pediatric Orthopedics Doctor in Ludhiana states that many orthopedic birth defects correct automatically over time without any treatment requirement; however, some issues may worsen if not treated at the right time. It can result in the following problems in a child’s life:
- Bone destruction.
- Arthritis in later life.
- Deformities in joints, limbs, bones, and muscles.
- Difficulty running and walking.
Additionally, if your child is also troubled with Orthopedic congenital disabilities, you must opt for Orthopedics treatment in Ludhiana at the top-notch hospital.
Who is responsible for the occurrence of birth defects?
When babies’ muscle and bone tissues start developing abnormally during fetal growth, orthopedic birth defects come in front. As per recent reports, medical scientists have no evidence about the sixty percent of congenital disabilities that affect newborn babies. Following are some general risk factors:
- Preexisting maternal illnesses include thyroid disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
- Severe maternal infections during pregnancy, indulging cytomegalovirus (CMV), rubella (German measles), chicken pox, etcetera.
- Toxins include smoke, alcohol, illicit drugs, cigarette, chemicals, radiation, and certain medications.
- Abnormal genes inherited from parents.
- Abnormal or missing genes stimulated by a chromosome disorder.
What are the different types of birth defects?
A baby gets the following kinds of birth defects during the development phase. These lie in the following categories:
- Developmental dysplasia of the hip (Dislocated hip).
- Metatarsus adductus (curved foot or intoeing).
- Spine deformities such as kyphosis (bowing) and scoliosis (twisting & side curvature).
- Clubfoot (familiar to find among infants).
- Bone infections.
- Osteogenesis imperfecta (brittle-bone ailment).
- Limb defects (missing arms or legs or abnormal development of arms or legs).
- Muscular dystrophy (skeletal muscle ailments).
How to indicate birth defects?
Generally, orthopedic birth defects are challenging to tackle among babies or children. However, the following are some signs of congenital orthopedic disabilities. These are:
- Spine twisting, bowing, and curvature.
- Easily broken bones.
- Visible issues with a baby’s arms, legs, hands, and feet.
What does a pediatrician do to diagnose orthopedic birth defects?
To detect the actual problem, a doctor may suggest the following tests:
- X-rays to check the shape, size, and situation of the bone.
- Genetic testing, either prenatal or after birth, to identify abnormalities.
- Blood and urine tests to rectify enzyme & infection deficiency.
- Biopsy of bones and muscles to determine the range of issues.
Diagnostic imaging with the help of MRI scans, ultrasound, and ECGs to examine the tendons, ligaments, muscles, and bones.
What are the ways to treat orthopedic congenital disabilities?
After performing all the required tests and scans, a pediatrician finds the actual root cause of the problem of your baby and suggests suitable treatment such as:
- Surgery to turn abnormally shaped bones, tendons & muscles into correct ones.
- Physical therapy to promote range and strength of motion.
- Occupational therapy (assist childer to get dressed up, walking, eating, etcetera).
COD’s Clinic is the right place to visit if your child is dealing with orthopedic birth defects and other neurological disorders. We are always ready to serve you with the best treatment options.